Missed-point dept. (origin of "Joe" (coffee)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Jun 20 01:00:16 UTC 2011

I believe "Joe" (coffee) really does derive from "Old Black Joe" as part of what's known as hash-house lingo; this lingo was at least sometimes
very politically incorrect.  I don't have my notes handy, but IIRC, two other examples are "Eskimo highball" (glass of ice water)
and "sheeny funeral" (pork chops).  There's also "Burn the British" (Toast an English muffin.)

Gerald Cohen

Original message from Jonathan Lighter, Sun 6/19/2011 2:59 PM
Actual dialogue between deeply-middle-aged academic and twelve-year-old
granddaughter:
G: Why do they call coffee "Joe"?