Missed-point dept. (origin of "Joe" (coffee)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Jun 20 15:20:54 UTC 2011

Here¹s an earlier one:

1911 ­ ŒOsgar and Adolf¹ cartoon by Condo; title: ŒEvery Little Melody Has
Meaning of It¹s [apostrophe: sic] Own¹; _The Tacoma Times_, Feb. 27, 1911,
p. 4; [misspellings below: sic]
First frame, Osgar to Adolf: ³Diss moosik box shoult make you der orders
plain, Adolf.  For instance, ven id plays ³Old Black Joe² id means coffee
mitoudt cream.  .²

This is mentioned in the book I co-authored with Barry Popik and David
Shulman _Origin of the Term ³Hot Dog²_, 2004. P. 105.

Gerald Cohen