Quote: If you want something very, very badly, let it go free (1972 edition question)

Wed Jun 22 17:00:34 UTC 2011

1) If you really love something set it free. If it comes back it's
yours, if not it wasn't meant to be.
2) If You Love Something Set. It Free If It Comes Back, It Was And
Always Will Be Yours. If It Never Returns, It Was Never Yours To Begin
With.
3) If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're
yours; if they don't they never were.
4) If you love something, set it free- if it comes back to you, it was
meant to be

These are examples gathered yesterday from the internet of a family of
sayings. The Yale Book of Quotations and the Quote Verifier trace this
family to a book by a teacher named Jess Lair who collected sayings
from students on index cards. Below is the version that an anonymous
student wrote for Lair:

If you want something very, very badly, let it go free. If it comes
back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, it was never yours to
begin with.

Lair states: "I don't ask that the cards be original and I don't ask
that quotations be attributed to their source."

Both YBQ and QV cite a 1974 edition of Lair's book. But WorldCat and
multiple library catalogs and databases list a 1972 edition. I checked
a supposed 1972 edition on paper and found that the quotation was
present on page 203.

The pages of the book do not explicitly give the publication date.
Here is the data listed in the edition that I checked:

Title: "I Ain't Much, Baby--But I'm All I've Got."