"dudo", 1840, meaning ???

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jun 23 17:41:43 UTC 2011

Not at all likely to be "dude."  My guess is it's a misprint for "duds" (clothes),
and this was the term used by the women when the police or reporter showed up.
---- G. Cohen

________________________________

From: Original message from George Thompson, Thu 6/23/2011 12:27 PM:

     *Mayhem*. -- On Friday evening three black wenches residing at 40
Wooster st. . . . , got into a wrangle about some *dudo* claimed as the
common property of the trio.    ***
     Morning Courier & New-York Enquirer, June 8, 1840, p. 2, col. 3

My notes don't make it explicit that the "dudo" (which was italicized) was a
person, specifically a man, but presumably so.
Can this be connected with the word "dude", not recorded until about 40
years later?
GAT
George A. Thompson