The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet (antedating attrib Hugh Keough 1919 February 8)

Fri Jun 24 19:27:37 UTC 2011

I apologize for not checking Barry Popik's website before posting.
Barry traces the expression further back.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/the_race_is_not_always_to_the_swift_no_the_battle_to_the_strong_but_thats_t/

Short link:
http://goo.gl/YYPy5