"due"

Sat Jun 25 01:58:27 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> If one were to overhear at random the remark "and when are you due?"
> addressed directly to a woman, I believe the most likely interpretation
> nowadays, without further context, would be that the addressee is pregnant,
> not that she herself is expected to arrive somewhere (though of course
> that's entirely possible).

I agree with you, Jon, I think, that the OED entry for "due" is
incomplete. I highlighted definition 10 in the OED because it appeared
to be the closest to the sense that is needed though it requires
extension. As a layperson I think that a new sense should be added.

Here is the way I would awkwardly try to force an interpretation that
fits under 10.

When is the baby due?
When is the baby reckoned upon as arriving?

When is the mother due?
When is the mother under engagement (because of pregnancy) to be ready
for the birth event?

OED due A. adj.
10. Under engagement or contract to be ready, be present, or arrive
(at a defined time); reckoned upon as arriving; as the train is
already due = ought, according to the time-tables, to be already here
(or at such a place).

1833    T. Moore Mem. (1854) VI. 336   Bills coming in at Christmas,
and my History due at the same time.
1864    Dickens Our Mutual Friend (1865) I. i. vi. 49   Williams, Bob
Glamour, and Jonathan, you are all due.
a1872    B. Harte Lost Galleon i,   Due she was, and over due—Galleon,
merchandise, and crew.
1896    Times 13 Jan. 7/1   She is due at Ascension on February 11,
and is to leave for England again on February 21‥being due at
Sheerness on March 19.
1897    N.E.D. at Due,   Mod. The train is due in London at 5 a.m. He
is due at his office next Monday. I must go; I am due at Mr. B.'s at
seven o'clock.