House numbering -- minor detail

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 25 18:35:51 UTC 2011

A couple of minor points--I agree with lack of connection with the
Declaration of Independence. I was not implying any such connection when I
wrote that piece. I did choose to use "proclamation" to avoid tying the
development either to a specific document or a specific date.

On Long Wharf, there is an issue as to whether it would be considered a
"street". But it would still be interesting if the units (I suppose, they'd
be "suites" today) within the structure were numbered. The "Long Wharf" is
not particularly long, so finding a particular merchant, undoubtedly
displaying the mark of his wares on the storefront, would not be difficult
without the numbering. Slips and docks, on the other hand, might have been
numbered in their own right. But that certainly would not translate to
"street numbers".

Please don't interpret my remark as pouring cold water on this
development--I simply want to ascertain what actually transpired before
getting excited about the result.

VS-)