House numbering -- minor detail

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 26 21:48:52 UTC 2011

There is a bit of difference between 800 ft and 2640 ft (half-mile). Perhaps
if we split the difference and put it at about 1700 ft, we'd be closer to
the accurate number (Wiki claims it was about a third of a mile long, which
is [exactly] 1760). That's a pretty good distance and longer than any other
structure of its kind, particularly considering that most of it extended
into the Harbor. The original Long Wharf started at the shoreline next to
Faneuil Hall--yes, it was near the water in 1710. There is also the question
as to how much the length of LW might have changed between 1710 and 1750,
when numbers started appearing on streets (in other locations). It certainly
stood out among other Boston docking structures because it extended directly
into open water (in fact, a marvel of engineering for that period).

Since much of the construction was essentially a pier (with warehouse
buildings on it), my original question as to whether it is appropriate to
look at it as a street stands. It is not--and should not be--particularly
surprising that the warehouses on the Long Wharf represented a virtually
continuous mass of buildings. Unlike other areas where some yard or other
open space may be of importance, there would be no use for open space here.

I have no particular objections to the suspicion that LW had numbers on its
warehouses. But I would like to see 1) a confirmation that this indeed was
the case and, if so, 2) at least a suggestive text that connects the numbers
on LW with street numbers in other places, such as NYC and London--as far as
I recall, Boston streets were not numbered until /after/ New York. So if
Long Warf was an exception, if counted as a street. On the other hand, if
similar structures were also numbered at other locations (including NYC and
London or British sea ports), this would make the case more interesting.

Either way, I am not questioning the find, just holding off the excitement.
The fact that numbers first appeared in NYC on market streets, identifying
shops and stalls rather than docks and warehouses, may be significant.

VS-)

PS: There may be some confusion between wharf, pier, dock and quay. In fact,
I should have probably arranged these in a different order: dock, pier,
wharf, quay--in the order of being "built-up". Dock and pier also have
multiple diverse definitions that make this more difficult.