drunk and disorderly

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 28 18:22:39 UTC 2011

I remember this term very well. 55 years ago in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, at midnight behind Danceland Ballroom, I was arrested with my best for being "drunk and disorderly" and spent the night in jail in a cell by myself; I remember being horrified that the toilet had no wooden seat. The judge gave me a directed verdict of "not guilty," which I do think was fair and just (the arresting officer testified that he knew I was drunk because I told him, "I have not indulged in promiscuous consumption" to deny the putative cause of my alleged drunkenness, and "Thoreau would be proud of me" as he clanked the lock-up door shut. Smart-assed little twit!). I  learned my lesson and have not been in a jail cell since (not sure if Thoreau would be proud of me for that, considering what all the Yankee college students were doing in the South for civil rights in the 1950s). Not sure that I am not still a smart-assed twit.