Whom anxiety?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 30 15:05:04 UTC 2011

At 6:07 PM -0400 6/29/11, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>I'm confused, Larry.  My question is not about the choice between
>"that" and "which" but about the choice between "that" and "who" for
>people -- "investors that purchased".  (And not the later "securities
>that" -- I too would not use "which" there.)

But according to the prescriptive rule that some grammar checks abide
by...oops, by which some grammar checks abide, restrictive relatives
are always introduced by "that", regardless of animacy
considerations, so that's what would be relevant here.  (There's
certainly no implication of inanimacy in "the woman that I spoke to"
or "the man that spoke to me", although "who" would be equally
natural in such cases.)  The choice between "who" and "which" would
only surface in non-restrictives, where both prescriptive rules and
actual usage make "that" impossible. I could be wrong, of course, I
was just proposing this as a possible reason for the (first) "that"
in the example.

LH