Whom anxiety?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jun 30 17:02:52 UTC 2011

Ah, I think I understand the point.  All three - that and which/who -
are involved in the rules for restrictive/non-restrictive clauses.  I
was thinking only of the "*by* individual investors", a prepositional
phrase which might lead a writer (as it has often led me) to be
anxious about which of the two the following who/whom (relative?)
clause should use -- "by" would take a "whom", but in the relative
clause it might correctly need the nominative.

Joel