"spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience store'?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 1 15:16:25 UTC 2011

At 3/1/2011 09:27 AM, Barbara Need wrote:
>I lived in MA in the 1970s, but I don't remember ever seeing  a
>grocery store with _spa_ in its name. I was north of Boston. Is this
>more localized than has been suggested?

I wonder whether "spa" has diminished in usage since perhaps the 1950s-1960s.

On this list we have twp spas that are definitely groceries in
Cambridge, a spa by name in Lewiston, ME (but is it a soda
fountain/casual dining spot or a grocery?), and the "greasy spoon"
lunch counter called The College Spa.  That encompasses the North
Shore, but how local the "grocery" meaning is I have no idea. AHD
says in its "More word histories and mysteries" that the
"neighborhood grocery store" sense is eastern New England.