Nigger vs. Colored, et al.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 2 16:32:11 UTC 2011

I thought all disciplines were like that.

But back to the point.  What I can tell you from personal investigation is
that the large number of eighteenth-century escaped-slave notices reprinted
in the 4 vols. of Lathan A. Windley's _Runaway Slave Advertisements_ _all_
use the word "negro" and eschew "nigger."

Slave-trade advertisements similarly use "negro" - I'm tempted to say
exclusively.

In fact, well into the 19th C., the "n-word" appears almost exclusively in
colloquial contexts. My feeling is that the Abolition debate tended to bring
out more heated language in the South.

So whatever even slave-holding whites may have been *saying* in the 18th and
early 19th C., they seem to have regarded as the n-word as too crude or
low-class for formal use.

This may have contributed to the misapprehension that "nigger" is simply
a contemptuous "mispronunciation" of "Negro."  See HDAS.

JL