Challenge for Garson, Stephen, and Others (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Mar 4 12:51:40 UTC 2011

Stephen Goranson wrote:
> The Gallico quote is confirmed: 1946 book last page.

Many thanks for checking that cite, Stephen. Early in his career Paul
Gallico was a sports journalist like Red Smith.

http://www.paulgallico.info/notitle.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gallico

Maybe Gallico was inspired to use the phrase "open your veins and
bleed" in this somewhat macabre metaphor by stories like the
following:

Cite: 1928 January 15, New York Times, Debate Abolition of Death
Penalty, Page 27, New York. (ProQuest)

"The ancients had a higher regard for the dignity of manhood. In
ancient Greece and Rome the citizen who was condemned to die was
permitted to open his veins and bleed to death in his home. If I had
my way, I would permit every convict to take his own life with the
same freedom that he may now do so before conviction.

Admittedly, it is still not clear if Paul Gallico, Red Smith, or
someone else crafted or popularized the metaphor.