OK Day March 23

aallan at AOL.COM aallan at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 4 20:13:27 UTC 2011

As we all know, OK is America's greatest word (or expression?) and most successful linguistic export. Right?

Half a century ago, Allen Walker Read proved beyond a doubt that OK was born on Saturday, March 23, 1839, on the second page of the Boston Morning Post. We all know (or should know) of his magnificent series of articles on the subject in American Speech in the 1960s, reprinted in 2002 in volume No. 86 of PADS, edited by Richard W. Bailey.

Relying on his copious material, as well as on subsequent documentation and items dredged from the Internet, I did a book on OK myself, published last fall by Oxford UP. And that gets me to this request -

Let's celebrate the 172nd birthday of OK this year, on March 23.

How celebrate? Well, any way you want. After all, it's OK.

If you are on Facebook, I'd appreciate it if you'd go to the page I've set up

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/OK-Day-March-23/129722790432147

and "like" it. If I get 25 likes, it will become a real page.

Thanks! - Allan Metcalf