“the mother of all battles”

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 5 19:47:12 UTC 2011

In BE, we wouldn't say the above. Rather, we'd say

"battle's mama"

with what I assume to be the same meaning as Saddam's phrase. That is,
"X's mama" is the most impressive positive or negative example of X
that can be imagined, whether in fact, in jest or, as in Saddam's
example, exaggeration for effect. The more mature among us may recall
the Hall-of-Fame basketballer, Bob McAdoo, who had foot's mama. He
wore, IIRC, size-22 chucks. A woman who has "back" may be said to
possess "(be)hind's / hips' /ass's /etc.'s mama." Perhaps not so
elegant as "the mother of all (be)hinds," etc. But, WTF? Good enough
for government work.

--
-Wilson
-----