jerk = 'stupid person' (1928)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Mar 7 06:43:57 UTC 2011

--

But some say it's "Turk".

At YouTube: supposedly the 1928 McClintock recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKk_kPmAk4

... wherein I believe I hear "Turk".

Why "Turk"? Farmer & Henley et al. give "Turk" = "cruel hard-hearted
man" or so. There are other possibilities.

[As for the nickname "Jerk", I don't believe it must reflect a common
noun "jerk" referring to a person (although of course it could).
Conceivably the man with the nickname jerked because of a neurological
condition or sleep apnea, or maybe he was famous for driving a vehicle
unevenly, or for losing fish by jerking the line, or for some other form
of jerking, or .... Maybe extended context would be enlightening?]

-- Doug Wilson