"spoofy" and "shimming" in Utah, 1919

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 7 13:42:40 UTC 2011

There seems to be no evidential suggestion at all that the name "jazz"
was applied to the music with any leering connotations.  We can dismiss that
idea once and for all.

And I would never suggest that editors and jazz musicians of the 1912-16 era
were innocent.

What I suggest is that to some speakers, "jazz" could have applied to sex
for some years ca1900 before it meant anything else.

Remember "rookie"?  A perfectly innocent term, but we took it back decades
before its supposed first appearance. Work on HDAS uncovered many
surprisingly early antedatings, often of publicly "unprintable" related
terms.

The principal reason "rookie" took so long to get generally noticed in print
is
that its use had been restricted to a relatively small number of speakers -
the armed forces.

If - and I'm only speculating - "jazz" had been largely restricted to
segregated African-American circles, in one or two cities, it could have
been around for decades without attracting the notice of whites.

A sexual "jazz" could easily have been in limited use without having
being heard by the editors we're quoting.

How many editors *didn't* allude to "jazz" until the name was well
established just *because* they thought it was dirty? Maybe none, but we'll
never know. And why did some people prefer to write "jass"?  Because "jazz,"
with its voiced sibilant, was a dirty word? Maybe not, but the sources
probably wouldn't tell us.

I'm not trying to appeal to ignorance. The only reason to believe that
"jazz" had an early sexual connotation is that many people seemed to think
so.  Ordinarily that sort of evidence could be disregarded.  But in the case
of a word that would have been patently "unprintable," which is plausibly,
though not necessarily, related to "jasm" and "jism," all bets are off.

JL