"hoped at to lose"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 10 19:20:11 UTC 2011

I would use a common sense of "legendary" here -- stories are told about
them that are not easy to verify.

I would label both Jackson and Belichick to be legendary by this standard,
but not Kobe.

That said, this definition favors taciturn coaches, whose thought processes
can be hard to unravel, over players, whose exploits are broadcast into our
homes every evening.

DanG