"admitted allegation"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Mar 11 00:19:54 UTC 2011

At 3/10/2011 12:17 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Thanks, John, that explains the usage.  And I can now see the lawyer
>standing behind the Cardinal (or on his tongue?).
>
>Joel
>
>At 3/10/2011 11:52 AM, Baker, John wrote:
>>         In a civil court, a lawsuit is initiated by filing a complaint,
>>which recites a number of allegations by the plaintiff.  The defendant
>>responds with an answer, in which each allegation is admitted or denied
>>(or some permutation thereon).  So the cardinal's usage was quite
>>unexceptional in a legal context.
>>

>>John Baker

On the other hand --

In an article on the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Boston in today's
Boston Globe, Lisa Wangsness writes about the U.S. bishops' standards
of 2002 for handling sexual abuse, "Those standards established,
among other things, a zero-tolerance policy that priests be
permanently removed from ministry if a single act of abuse of a minor
is admitted or established."

The same words -- "admitted" and "established" -- as quoted from
Cardinal Rigali of Philadelphia, but here applied to "acts", not
"allegations".  But then, Wangsness is not a lawyer, only a
professional in the use of English.

In fact, the 2002 standard,  in Article 5, says "Where sexual abuse
by a priest or a deacon is admitted or is established after an
appropriate investigation in accord with canon law ...".  This too
applies the adjectives to an act -- "abuse" -- not an allegation.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/06/14/policy.htm

Joel