eye dialect was RE: nekkid

Mon Mar 14 18:50:08 UTC 2011

Josh Billings used <iz> (and <waz>) in the 19th century. He was very fond of eye dialect, although there were some spellings reflecting real non-standard pronunciations too.  But compared to contemporaries like Artemas Ward and Mark Twain,  his ratio of eye dialect to non-Standard dialectal forms was high.

Paul Johnston