"after the jump"

Wed Mar 16 01:39:54 UTC 2011

In the newsgroup rec.arts.comics.strips in 2004 there was a discussion
of the meaning of the phrase "More after the jump" in the domain of
online media. Apparently, the Wonkette website (founding editor Ana
Marie Cox, the primary writer for the website in 2004 and 2005) used
the term online. The meaning accords with the comment first made by
Fred Shapiro (and other commentators).

rec.arts.comics.strips
Bill Lentz Jun 8 2004, 6:08 pm

Could one of you newspaper (or PR) professionals tell me what is meant
by (and/or the origin of) the phrase "More after the jump." w.r.t a
press release/newsfeed?

The phrase appears regularly in an RSS news feed (wonkette) I read,
and, even though the blog is peppered with innuendo and double
entendre, I don't think this is one of those.

Thanks
Bill

rec.arts.comics.strips
ameijers Jun 8 2004, 6:51 pm

"Bill Lentz" <ble... at negatorygoodbuddy.prodigy.net> wrote in message

news:7ldcc0dfbol2e9hi4rvuiqub1ftiml0lkh at 4ax.com...
> Could one of you newspaper (or PR) professionals tell me what is meant
> by (and/or the origin of) the phrase "More after the jump." w.r.t a
> press release/newsfeed?

> The phrase appears regularly in an RSS news feed (wonkette) I read,
> and, even though the blog is peppered with innuendo and double
> entendre, I don't think this is one of those.

Well, the actual expert Mr. Peterson will be able to give a proper
definition, but IIRC from back in the stone age when I brushed the perimeter
of the publishing world, 'the jump' was the continued part of the story on
the inside pages. No idea hw that would apply to an online feed/blog. As in
'jump to page x'. Mebbe to tell readers to make sure and look at the whole
release, and there is more text after the graphics?

googlegooglegoogle.....

Nope, nothin'

aem sends...

Urban Dictionary has a definition for online media in 2006:

after the jump

'The Jump' in online media refers to a large block of inline
advertising separating a page of text. It is a form of advertisment
commonly used by bloggers and tech-press, but creates a major
distraction for readers. The web-equivalent of the commercial break.
The use of the phrase "More after the jump..." signifies that a reader
should scroll down past the adblock for further on the story, as with
"More after this word from our sponsors" on television.
...with people speculating that Apple are soon to release a new brand
of laptop powered by hampsters. More after the jump.
Get your Apple laptops here
Buy Apple computers on EBay
Looking for Apples? Try Farmland orchards

It is speculated that the Hampstop will reduce the heat of laptops,
while increase the scratchy noise and odor in compensation.
by Bobolosh Jun 23, 2006

Urban Dictionary also has definitions dated 2005 and 2007.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=after%20the%20jump