"a warning singsong"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 16 15:30:36 UTC 2011

It suddenly occurs to me that the suprasegmental in question was popularized
in the phrase,

"You'll be SORRReeeee!"

which was in wide use in teh early '40s. (Though I can't find a prescise
characterization of it quickly, it is usally styled something like the
above. Whenever I've heard it, it's the typical "warning singsong.")

I believe the phrase got started on a radio show. Did Red Skelton have
something to do with it?

At any rate, the questions remain. Is the suprasegmental a 1940s innovation,
or (as I think) did "You'll be sorreeee!" simply exploit an
established feature?

JL