Q: "Earliest written reference to baseball"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 16 16:19:59 UTC 2011

Not sure just when the bat came in (maybe there were always batless and
batty varieties). But if you'd been used to the batless game (what we called
"punchball" in my grade-school glory years), the bat and the development of
batting skills would be pretty dramatic.

BTW, you whippersnappers, we didn't have none of these newfangled "pitchers"
on the old punchball diamond. Back then, we hadda be pitcher *and*
batter. You can't even imagine such a thing, kin you, what with yer iPods
and ePads and oPrahs....   We were tough then.

JL