"Truth is the first casualty."

Fri Mar 18 01:09:55 UTC 2011

Jonathan, The 1915 citation for "truth is the first casualty in war"
is an excellent find. It is sometimes difficult trying to keep track
of all the different repositories one can search when exploring a
quotation. Barry Popik investigated this saying in January and has
already posted this important 1915 citation. I know this because I was
just about to post on this topic in early January, and then I checked
Barry's website again.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/the_first_casualty_of_war_is_truth/

Here are two cites before 1915. These were the most entertaining early
partial matches on the theme that I found:

Title: Memoirs of an American lady: With sketches of manners and
scenery in America, as they existed previous to the revolution
Author: Anne MacVicar Grant
Edition: reprint
Publisher: G. Dearborn, 1836

Truth is the first victim to fear and policy; when matters arrive at
that crisis, every one finds a separate interest ; mutual confidence,
which cannot outlive sincerity, dies next, and all the kindred virtues
drop in succession.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lxAeAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Truth+is%22#v=snippet&

Title: The Christian work and the evangelist, Volume 76
Published: 1904
Date: April 2, 1904

The way the news from the seat of war is stated one day, reiterated
the next day and "authoritatively contradicted" the day following
forcibly illustrates the fact that truth often takes slow trains in
war times and arrives at the station much behind time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=u4NPAAAAYAAJ&q=%22war+times%22#v=snippet&