status quo = 'situation'

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 23:17:45 UTC 2011

I'd be the last person to complain about someone seeing idiosyncrasies
where others may not--I post this kind of stuff all the time (and get
berated by Ron Butters). I won't dispute that there is a difference
between the cited use and the classic definition--I just don't believe
that the difference is quite as vast as you suggested. Basically, in
the Reuters example--as in the example you give below (below in this
message--above metaphorically)--"quo" is superfluous. But it's not
particularly destructive and the intended meaning is clearly related
to the dictionary one, even if it's not identical. It may be a drift
or it may be one-off.

And I would not want to substitute my judgement for yours.
Disagreement is not necessarily criticism--descriptivism demands
stochastic evaluations, not static ones. (I am sure someone will
object to my use of "stochastic" and "static".)

VS-)