ramping down

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 21 21:04:34 UTC 2011

I don't see "off-ramp" and "ramp down" having similar meanings.

"Off-ramp" means to get off whatever path one is on, at least for a while,
like getting off a highway.

"Ramp down" means to gradually decline something, like turning down a dial.
Something can be ramped down permanently, like the closing of a military
base, or temporarily, with a smaller extent of activity than before, but
with the possibility of ramping it up again.

DanG