friend of Dorothy" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Mar 22 18:49:12 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

_New York Times_ 5/10/1987 p A29 col 1

"In the Whitney is a painting titled "A Friend of Dorothy, 1943" that
spells out various slang expressions for homosexuals in an array of
old-fashioned typefaces. In both works the letters are ornate and
exceedingly proper - redolent of a time when such words, like
homosexuality itself, were taboo. But the language is bold, forthright
and backed by the color, scale and declarative decorativeness of the
painting's design. In "A Friend of Dorothy, 1943," red and green letters
seem to bounce around on a field of yellow, just as our minds are jolted
by the varying ratios of code, euphemism and bigotry inherent in the
language we see."

The subject painting is here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BC7V-mV1HLEJ:cruise
orbecruised.tumblr.com/post/3450939612/mcdermott-mcgough-a-friend-of-dor
othy-1943-76+%22A+Friend+of+Dorothy+,+1943%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&s
ource=www.google.com

and is dated 1986

Behalf Of

------