Tactical air

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 22 19:43:28 UTC 2011

Yes. This has been going on in the news media for many years.

"Fighter jets" and "fighter aircraft" are the usual journalistic terms
regardless of precision. "Warplane" is also used, but less often.  (Years
ago I reported Fox's characterization of WWII fighters and bombers
overflying a ceremony as "fighter jets.")

Cf. "battleship."  Armored cars (with wheels) are frequently called "tanks."

Armored personnel carriers, however, are almost always correctly identified,
despite the annoying syllable count. Ditto for "Bradley Fighting Vehicles."

JL