assassination

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 23 16:12:11 UTC 2011

I just went through all the OneLook definitions plus OED.

OED:
> The action of assassinating; the taking the life of any one by
> treacherous violence, esp. by a hired emissary, or one who has taken
> upon him to execute the deed.

This covers most, but not all elements in other dictionaries. In fact,
the OED is the only one that adds "esp. by a hired emissary, etc.".

Cambridge DAE adds "money" in a different way, but with similar purpose:
> to murder (a famous or important person) for political reasons or in
> exchange for money

Most defs. have "act of assassinating", "murder of famous or important
person" or "public figure". Some add "esp. for political reasons", "by
means of treachery", "secretly" and/or "by sudden attack".

What I find most interesting is that /not one/ explicitly defines it as
a deliberate and targeted act. Perhaps it's implied by "murder", but
murder could be a random act, neither premeditated nor targeted. Perhaps
the "targeted" part is hidden in "public figure", etc., but would a
random murder of a famous, important or "public" figure during a robbery
be an assassination?

The cognates suffer from the same difficulty. For example, assassin is
defined as

> someone who kills a famous or important person, especially for
> political reasons, or someone who is paid to kill a particular person

     VS-)