"Complicate" = "elucidate the complexity of"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 23 17:48:10 UTC 2011

At 3/23/2011 01:21 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Isn't Lepore the author of that postmodern look at Puritan savagery?
>
>If so....

If so, what conclusions does one draw about _The Whites of their Eyes_?

If you mean _The Name of War: King Philip's War
and the Origins of American Identity_ (Bancroft
Prize winner), I don't see why you're calling it
"postmodern".  Not in language -- I could
understand it, it is thoroughly historical, and
it doesn't use "problematize".  And it comes down
hard on Indian savagery as well as Puritan,
although perhaps our reaction that it is hard on
the Puritans is due to our (over-simplified)
belief that they were (all) saintly.

Joel