"Complicate" = "elucidate the complexity of"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 23 20:36:40 UTC 2011

At 1:55 PM -0400 3/23/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The book I remember (I couldn't read the whole thing) is filled with
>distracting postmodernist puns and weighty (par)en(theses).
>
>That would be enough to alienate this reader, whatever its other qualities.
>
>If I'm in error, I apologize to Prof. Lepore.

If Lepore's book on the Tea Party's rewriting of American History is
anything like her piece on the topic in a recent New Yorker, there's
nothing particularly postmodern or transgressive about it that I
could see.

LH