OED's "rum" -- perhaps 1651?; and its misattributions to "Franklin's" Drinkers Dictionary

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 24 18:05:37 UTC 2011

The "perhaps 1651" in the Subject line is due to my carelessness.  It
should have been deleted, since the 1651 quotation is for
"rumbullion" -- and in the OED.

JB