good quote

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 24 18:18:45 UTC 2011

Having poked fun at YBQ already today, I offer the following positive
contribution. Fred can be the first anthologist (AFAIK) to include it:

Louis Simpson (he already has a YBQ entry) in _The Hudson Review_ XI (1958),
p. 452: "We no longer believe in the divinity of poets, and we don't believe
in inspiration, and - thank God - we are more than willing to think the
worst of everybody."

(Perhaps it's a bit dated, since nowadays the possible "divinity of poets"
or a possible "reality of inspiration" would not likely come up.)

JL
__