a "thats" possessive on the national news

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 26 13:14:04 UTC 2011

Amazing all around.

If it's been as common for many decades as alleged, the failure of the OED
and others to notice it should give us all pause.

Shouldn't there be plenty of printed evidence in fiction?  If not, why not?

My impression is that constructions involving "inanimate obj. + poss." are
relatively uncommon in speech and writing to begin with. That would
encourage the astonishing muddle I found in graduate student attempts to use
the relevant "whose" properly  25 years ago.

Many had trouble filling in the blank in the "giveaway" ex.:

"It's an idea _____ time has come."

As I may have said once before, it's time for someone to repeat the
experiment. (If they have, what were the results?)

One might think that "...what so proudly we hailed...whose broad stripes and
bright stars" might have implanted the construction in infant minds, but
the sentence is so complicated that undoubtedly many adults still can't
figure it out.

JL