a "thats" possessive on the national news

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 26 19:26:33 UTC 2011

Google finds less than a dozen "idea which's time has come," though that was
an occasional solution among the students.

It does find 23,000 exx. of "idea which time has come," which was a quite
popular solution.

And over 300 exx. of "idea which its time has come," which I believe was the
most popular erroneous solution of all. (Very oddly, only a single hit on
"idea which it's time has come."

I long ago indicated my surprise that in many thousands of student papers
over many years (before grammar checkers and so forth), the barest
handful ever contained a double modal construction, though most of these
students were apparently saying "might could" every day.  And, less
surprising, I don't believe I saw "ain't" used seriously on more than a
single occasion.

SWAG: "inanimate obj. + poss." has always been rare in natural speech (not
sure why). That, combined with the purely theoretical discord of "whose,"
has resulted in a somewhat moribund construction in both speech and writing.

JL