"like pickles and ice cream"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 27 18:25:09 UTC 2011

To sum up:

"Pickles and ice cream"/ "ice cream and pickles" was a meme by the late
1890s connoting "an indigestible food combination that children might eat
foolishly."

By 1960 the meme had generally come to refer humorously to "a strange
and disagreeable craving commonly experienced by pregnant women."

By 1990 "pickles and ice cream" had come, in addition, to stand jocularly
for any two items that proverbially don't or proverbially do go together.

BONUS "go together like peanut butter and jelly":

GB offers this allegedly from 1959: "And conversely, nothing unlocks the
secrets of the potato like meditating on the Psalms. These things go
together like yin and yang, like Martha and Mary, like peanut butter and
jelly."  The next "go together like peanut butter and jelly" isn't till
(apparently) 1966, with very slow growth through the '70s and '80s and
a startling increase in incidence since about 2000.

JL

JL