reach for the sky (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 28 15:12:10 UTC 2011

At 9:52 AM -0500 3/28/11, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>

>>  1910 William MacLeod Raine _A Texas Ranger_  (N.Y.: Grosset & Dunlap,
>1911)
>>  154: "Now, reach for the sky, and prompt, too." ...The deputy disarmed
>his
>>  captive.
>>

>Why the 1910 dating if the book was published in 1911?

Is the practice to cite the quote based on the book publication but
date it according to its (slightly) earlier serialized appearance?
(I'm not saying I remember reading Raine's "Texas Ranger" in a
periodical the year before the book was published, I'm just thinking
that could be a factor here and possibly elsewhere.)

LH