reach for the sky

Tue Mar 29 09:38:09 UTC 2011

OED lumps together "reach for the (sky, roof, stars)" [command given
to someone held at gunpoint] and gives the phrase "reach for the roof"
as the earliest term in the novel " Bucky O'Connor: A Tale of the
Unfenced Border" by the ubiquitous William MacLeod Raine. The OED
dates the work to 1910 but the copyright page lists two dates:

Copyright 1907 by Street & Smith
Copyright 1910 by G. W. Dillingham Company

http://books.google.com/books?id=5NsnAQAAIAAJ&q=Smith#v=snippet&q=Smith&f=false

Street & Smith also published science fiction works (years later), and
I know that the text of serialized SF novels sometimes differed
markedly from the final full-length text. Also, two (or more)
copyright notices were sometimes given at the beginning of "fix-up"
novels in the SF domain. The issue of selecting a date can be
side-stepped here because there is another cite:

Cite: 1906 September 4, Aberdeen Daily News, Nervy Gun Artists Work in
Aberdeen, GN Page 8, Aberdeen, South Dakota. (GenealogyBank)

Hold-Up Men Compelled Him to Reach for the Sky while They Rifled His Pockets.

Garson