curious usage note

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 30 23:53:27 UTC 2011

At 2:14 PM -0400 3/30/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Isn't "sodomite" derived from the people of Sodom, and would therefore fall
>under the tribal source?
>
>"Labourite", although tribal in the minds of some, doesn't really fit the
>rule, I admit. I do believe there is a rule, however.
>
>DanG

I tend to agree, although it's not an absolute.
The OED entry doesn't distinguish its Labourites
from its Trotskyites, but most of its examples
are of the latter sort:

==============
  b.  In words of modern formation:  (a) Denoting
an inhabitant of a place; as Sydneyite,
Claphamite, Durhamite, Ludlowite: now rare, and
mostly somewhat contemptuous.   (b) Denoting a
disciple, follower, or adherent of a person or
doctrine; as Wycliffite, Campbellite, Daleite,
Glassite, Irvingite, Puseyite, Simeonite;
Brontëite, Darwinite, Hugoite, Ruskinite,
Shelleyite, Spencerite, Zolaite; Bryanite,
Canningite, Healyite, Jacobite, Luddite,
Mackinleyite, Parnellite, Peelite, ÝWilliamite
(adherent of William III). So Pre-raphaelite,
Silverite, Independent Labourite, etc.

These have a tendency to be depreciatory, being
mostly given by opponents, and seldom
acknowledged by those to whom they are applied.
LH