the fight over "app store"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 31 02:12:49 UTC 2011

One of the Economist blogs also linked to NYT and mentioned a few
interesting examples, such as the "Container Store". From my
perspective, there are subtle differences between "container store" and
"app store" that make Apple's job a bit harder. There is really only one
way to interpret "App Store" and that's a retail establishment that
sells apps--which is merely descriptive. "Container Store" has more
different angles and, in the end, the actual store sells more than just
containers. In this, the "App Store" is more like a "Book Store" and the
"Container Store" is more like a "Restaurant Store". The latter pair is
worthy a mark, the former--IMO--is not.

Of course, Ron Butters is an interested party so he may well stay mum on
this--wouldn't want to tip his hand, at this point.

     VS-)