The antecedent of "Hell is where the English are the chefs"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 31 16:03:42 UTC 2011

My only excuses:

1)  Downie writes in his endnote as though Defoe originated this,
although he doesn't actually claim so explicitly;

2)  I don't have the Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs on my bookshelf.

Joel