Participial "slow + -n"

William Salmon wsalmon1 at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Thu Mar 31 20:48:56 UTC 2011

> I too am from Texas, but the form doesn't sound very normal to me (thence the posting!).
>
> I can imagine, say, "is not slowing down" sounding like "is not slown down"--but that's grammatically a different >structure from "has slown down."
> --Charlie

Google has some interesting examples of "slown up", though not as many as for "slown down", and they don't seem to be all from Texas :-)

I also learned since we talked that the factory has slown up production due to some parts coming from abroad with some restrictions.

The same vitriolic spew that has gushed the past few years hasn't slown up a single bit.

And as far as the Deca I was considering it before- My weight gain has slown up recently, but I am getting stronger and stronger.

Things have slown up here! Will have news this week

Will