speed humps

Mon May 2 13:58:13 UTC 2011

Here is the baseline for antedating:
OED Draft additions March 2003

speed hump n. = sleeping policeman n. at sleeping adj. 1f; cf. road
hump n. at road n. Compounds 6, speed bump n. at Compounds 4.
[1946    N.Y. Times 27 Jan. 3 (advt.)    Discouragement to autos was
considered duty of many American municipalities when ‘horseless
carriage’ first appeared on streets, terrifying pedestrians.
Ordinances put anti-speed humps in paving.]
1974    Times 17 May 2/6 (heading)    [Road Traffic] Bill proposes *speed humps.
1983    Chicago Sun-Times 23 Aug. 15   The west suburb's council is
considering a proposal that one or more ‘speed humps’ be built as an
experiment.