rumble strip

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 2 21:53:19 UTC 2011

CA is not the only one. Actually, I wonder if "Botts dots" are not
occasionally used for "rumble strips". But there are other kinds of inserts
that are used on highways. Some have square outlines with two recessed
reflecting surfaces, leaving the regular white stripes "non-reflecting" (of
course, they reflect light--they're white!--but they don't have additional
reflecting particles mixed in, as they do in CA).

Oh, and, of course, there is the "grooved pavement" in places where the
highway surface is being stripped in order to be replaced. These are also
preceded and followed by "bumps". Not linguistically interesting, though...

VS-)