real-time

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 3 01:20:40 UTC 2011

I understand your point.  But there's only one kind of time in this neck of
the cosmos.  Suppose they were watching it on a video recording. Forget what
the %0^^2#* video is doing - they're still *watching* the video in *real*
time. The clock is ticking away as they watch. Time doesn't get any realer
than that. It would make as much sense to me to have said, "In the White
House, they watched the raid and breathed real air."

Not to mention that given the *real-world* context and who's watching what,
the default assumption would be that they are indeed watching it as it
happens. If it were a tape or a classic rerun, *that's* what would require
explanation.

Now, if the genius of Inglish wishes to replace meaningful phrases like "as
it happened" - or "as it unfolded," "on a live feed," "on live TV" (or just
plain "live," since that's short for the preceding and even shorter than "in
real time"), or even "glued to their closed-circuit TV monitor" - with an
idiot phrase like "in real time," you'll have noticed that I can't stop it.

But I will resist its use.

JL