The pointless flash-mob

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 02:45:20 UTC 2011

A couple of additional points. There is an entry for "Flashmob" on Dutch
Wiki--their "origin" information is the same as English, dating it back to
2003. There is /no/ entry at all for "flitsmeute". "Popkoor" has no separate
entry, but does show up in a number of places, but that's to be expected for
a fairly ordinary word--it might have an idiomatic meaning that I don't
recognize (maybe "pop-troupe" for any sort of pop performance, including
dance). Again, this is something I just don't know.

The Dutch and the Japanese seem to be most fascinated with flash mobs--I
found the earliest Dutch one in 2004, less than a year from the initial
flashmob in NYC and there have been quite a few since. The rest are all over
the map. Perhaps it had something to do with the use of Macs and iPhones ;-)

VS-)