Q: "to taper" = "to gradually *increase* in intensity"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 4 16:51:25 UTC 2011

 From an email message:

>I stayed [after the conference] to do the marathon on Sunday and had
>a lot of fun; however, I found that sitting for 2-3 days
>in  seminars and at meetings was definitely not a good way to taper for a race!

I assume the writer means "taper up" for the race, rather than "taper
down" from the meetings.

The OED does have "1.a. intr. To rise or shoot up like a flame,
spire, or pyramid (obs.); fig. to rise or mount up continuously in
honour, dignity, rank, etc.", and calls it Obs.  This seems
different.  Is it new or rare?

Joel