Bin Laden and PC

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 18:39:41 UTC 2011

>From Barrett's footnote in _Geronimo's Story of his Life_, by Geronimo and
S. M. Barrett, "Superintendent of Education, Lawton, Okla." (1906; rpt N.Y.:
Duffield, 1915), p. 54:

"From the moment the command for war is given with the Apaches everything
assumes a religious guise. The manner of camping, cooking, etc., are exactly
prescribed. Every object appertaining to war is called by its sacred name;
as if, for instance, in English, one should say not horse, but war-horse or
charger; not arrow, but missile of death. The Indian is not called by his
ordinary name, but by a sacred name to which is subjoined "brave" or "chief"
as the case may be. Geronimo's Indian name was Go khla yeh, but the Mexicans
at this battle called him Geronimo, a name he has borne ever since both
among the Indians and white men."

The battle in question was fought between the Apaches and the Mexican army
near Arispe in 1859.  The non-PC Mexican government had placed a bounty of
between twenty-five and a hundred dollars on Apache scalps.

Conceivably - and some later writers inevitably state it as fact - Go khla
yeh heard a Mexican soldier shouting the name of St. Jerome, "Hieronymo," as
an oath in his direction and accepted it as his sacred (not secret)
name.  Geronimo certainly seems to have told Barrett that he got the name
from the Mexicans at that time.

And that's the best I can do, I think.

JL