Bin Laden and KIA

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 4 23:51:20 UTC 2011

It wasn't KIA, it was EKIA -- enemy killed in action.  Which does specify whom.

E.g., from the NYTimes, published on May 2, at
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/03intel.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ekia&st=cse

"We have a visual on Geronimo," he [Panetta] said.
A few minutes later: "Geronimo EKIA."
Enemy Killed In Action. There was silence in the Situation Room.
Finally, the president spoke up.
"We got him."

(I suspect here "Geronimo" doesn't mean Bin Laden, but is rather the
code name for the operation.  Thus "Geronimo [operation report is] EKIA.")

Joel